Created in 1903, this was the first of the existing gardens to be built. It is closely related to the mansion and has its central pathway in line with the doors of the library. Brownstone matching the mansion was used for the garden walls and baulstrades. The four sunken beds are in the shape of modified fleur-de-lis. Their patterns are created with dense ribbons of colorful annual foliage plants – an elaborate example of the carpet bedding that was popular during the Victorian era.