Completed in 1907, the Sub-Rosa was a secret garden enclosed by a circle of hedges with swags of vines and was entered through a short hedge maze. It was one of the small “garden rooms” at Sonnenberg that was inspired by Italian landscape design. Large topiaries of boxwood and ivy have recently been placed in this garden to recreate the historic garden. Life-sized marble statues representing the “Four Seasons” adorned this garden at one time. The focal point was and is the marble fountain and bench structure. This garden had few colorful flowers. Instead, the focus was on contrasting colors of green foliage and white marble.